Monday, September 1, 2014

Time to Catch Up

Can you believe the year is just flying by?  Here it is August already.  I didn't realize that my last post was in November of last year.  I guess the time just slipped by without me realizing it.  I have a day time job, so it's not always easy to sew everyday.  Sometimes I'm too exhausted mentally to even consider sewing.  By the time I usually relax enough to even think about it, it's time to go to bed.  I envy the bloggers that post something everyday.  Although I haven't blogged about it, I have been busy sewing when the time presented itself. 

I finally finished the Road Less Traveled.  I don't have a picture of the finished quilt however, I gave it to a nice lady who is loosing her eyesight, but she could see that quilt and fell in love with it.

I completed the top for the "Comfort" quilt from Collections for a Cause by Howard Marcus. 


Not the best picture, but I couldn't fit it in with the space I have.  I still need to piece the backing and sandwich it, then I can quilt and bind it.  A quilt is not finished until its been quilted and the binding finished.  Why do we quilters tend to stop working on quilts once the hard part is done?  The easy part is the quilting and binding, the piecing is the hardest part.

 
 
This is my quilt I call "My Stars".  I have pieced the top, just need to add the border's.  This pattern is actually called Sparklers from The Quilt Company.  This is my version of that quilt.  It requires the specialty rulers from Creative Grids.  They are called Scrap Crazy 6 Ruler.  Very fun and easy to use.
 
 
 
 
These are a few of my Pineapple blocks I made using Creative Grids Pineapple ruler.  Creative Grids has a wonderful video on their website, that explains how to use the ruler.  Once you get the hang of it, it's a wonderful ruler to use.  I'm trying to make the blocks as scrappy as I can.  Planned but not planned if you know what I mean.  I hope to have the blocks completed this week, and then I will start piecing them together.  I want it be a king size quilt.  Not sure if I will add borders or not.  It depends on how big it is once I sew all the blocks together.  What do you think?  Should I add a border?
 
 
 
I call this quilt top "Sunshine".  The pattern is called "Blitzen".  It's a free pattern from Moda fabrics.  You can use charm packs cut on the diagonal.  The pattern calls for the charm packs to be cut down to 4 1/2" square, but I didn't do that on this quilt.  I left the charm pack squares at 5".  It made the quilt a little bit bigger by a few inches.  It turned out beautifully I think.  I still need to piece the backing and quilt and bind it. 
 
I'm also working on a block of the month(I'll show pictures of this later), and I've got to get ready for a class with Jacqueline de Jonge.  The class is in October, but I have to have some of the cutting already done before the class so I can spend the time in class sewing.
 
That's all for today.



No comments:

Post a Comment