Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Let's try this again!

I haven't been very diligent in keeping up with my blog.  I've let other things get in the way.  Stress from work and from just living.  I'm going to try to do better, and at least make one post a week, if not daily. 

I actually have several projects in the works, as most quilters do.  Here are the three main projects I'm working on right now.

I have 10 blocks completed for my Civil War Homefront quilt, out of 25 blocks that I need.  These are simple blocks, with squares and HST(Half Square Triangles) units.  Each block will be set on point.  The hardest part of this one is going to be the outer setting triangles.  It is a stripe print and lining up the stripes for each triangle is going to be tricky.  I hope it works out correctly.  I still have 15 blocks to go before I get to that step.  We will see how it goes.

I've completed the quilt top for the Road Less Traveled by A Quilter's Dream.  I have to put a border on this one, then it will be ready to be quilted.  This one was fun to make and I loved the colors.  I used fabrics from the Piccadilly Lane fabric collection from Henry Glass.  Gives this pattern a very modern feel.  I like it.

I found these lovely "Grandmothers Flower Garden" blocks on Ebay a few years ago.  All blocks were hand pieced and there was a good sized section of these blocks that were already pieced together.  There were about a 100 or so flower blocks, where the flowers were completed but not pieced together.  Each petal is only about an inch across.  I decided to finish the top keeping the integrity of the original maker, by hand stitching them all together.  I know nothing about the original maker, only that they were purchased from an estate sale.  I'm guessing the prints are all from the 30's and 40's and most likely were pieces taken from dresses and shirts and could also possibly be from feed sack prints. There were even little connecting pieces of muslin included, so there's no added fabric that could possibly hurt the value of these flowers.  I've got all the rows together, I just have to now piece the rows to each other.  Once this is done I will hand quilt the top.  This one has been slow going.  I had the blocks for about a year before I started piecing them together and I work on them when I'm really stressed and need something to zone out with. 

That's all for today.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment